Did you know that almost 86% of high school students are concerned about their higher education with just 8% students attributing guidance received from school? Does this not ring a bell that the same high school students who happen to be the future of the nation, are in fact confused about their own future? The MHRD’s directive to provide teacher training to 15 lakh teachers signals the need for continuous professional development for teachers. It is indeed the need of the hour, as a trained teacher would be better prepared to address students’ doubts about their future. UCLA extension’s Global Career Catalyst (GCC) is one such program which aims to address a teacher’s continuous professional development by making them aware and globally certified.
What exactly is GCC all about?
GCC is Asia’s first career counseling certifications in partnership with UCLA ext. which is one of the Top 20 Universities in the world. GCC offers a blended case study based program where teachers are trained by experts online as well as through physical interventions. Your teachers get to learn about the in-trend techniques in counseling that are prevalent not only in India but across the globe. With over 2,000 certified teachers and having achieved a 90% customer delight, this is one of the most sought-after teacher training programs in the country.
How does your school benefit from this program?
Your school benefits through a four-fold benefit from this program which have been mentioned as follows:
- Guided students and parents: Since teachers spend the maximum amount of time with a student in school, they are more aware of a student’s strengths and weaknesses. Upon using their learnings from the GCC program, they are better prepared to serve as first level counselors to students and their parents. Your school teachers become influential catalysts who will promote your school’s learning environment.
- Globally aware teachers: Usually teachers might possess a specialization in a specific domain and thus might not be aware of careers arising out of a student’s desired area of interest. A science student having interest in economics could be guided to a potential career in economics through her Physics teacher! History would no longer be associated with archaeology but could also promote interest in architecture by an interested future science student and thus improve his learning. Through GCC, teachers would gain insight into the different careers options arising out of other subject streams and provide holistic guidance to them.
- Organic classroom discussions: Imagine a top listed future lawyer in your school’s civics class! This could turn into a reality as teachers, post their GCC certification would be able to incorporate career and college discussions as extensions to their subject. A teacher would be able to trigger students’ interest and get a productive classroom engagement around careers.
- More productive Parent-Teacher interactions: Your school’s Parent Teacher Association would no longer remain the same. The focus would not just be on marks but incorporate a long-term view in terms of the student’s aspirations. Teachers would be better adept to address parental pressures on their ward(s) and address the career and course issues keeping in mind the student’s interests. Through a GCC certified teacher’s intervention, a doctor parent might realize that their daughter’s interest might not be into science but more in design. So from an early age, they would prepare her for a career where she aspires to be.
- UCLA Certification: Your school gets an edge as it becomes certified by one of the Top Ivy League universities. It can then be used on your marketing collaterals, to guide prospective students and parents, to serve as a benchmark in the industry and to get your school recognized on a global platform.
Want your school to be GCC Certified?
To schedule a discussion with Emily Jonathon, School Advisor-Asia Support Team, UCLA Extension