Sant Nandlal Smriti Vidya Mandir
Almost half of India’s population resides in rural areas, holding the real potential for a transformation. We usually imagine a transformation to be associated with infrastructural development, but it is education that holds the key to make a real societal change. Very few individuals actually realize this potential and are able to bring about a meaningful impact for the society.
Today we focus the spotlight on one such visionary educator who transformed his school’s approach towards education through his persistent efforts. Mr Sanjay Kumar Mallick, Principal of Sant Nandlal Smriti Vidya Mandir, Ghatsila has been the brain behind making his school’s presence known among the best in the country. Not only has the school excelled in academics but has also made its name known in national events, despite belonging to an otherwise “not so developed” area.
Mr Sanjay Kumar Mallick
Principal, Sant Nandlal Smriti Vidya Mandir, Ghatsila
What were the Challenges he Faced?
Not many people would have heard of the name Ghatsila, which happens to be a small town in rural Jharkhand. The 3 major obstacles which Mr Mallick faced while addressing students and their parents were:
- Low levels of awareness
- Minimal resources to guide students
- Relatively lower income levels
There were also fewer avenues for students to participate in extra-curricular events and competitive examinations. But just like there is a unique problem in every situation, visionaries like him find unique solutions to those very same problems.
A Season of Change
Mr Mallick believes that each student has a distinct personality and learning ability, and thus they need personalized attention to ensure their success. His motto has been to offer equal chances to every student irrespective of their background. He believes that each student needs to be guided in a customized manner to make him or her academically, socially and morally responsible.
In order to promote this vision, he undertook a pilot project aptly named
- Mallick wanted students to get interested in taking part in examinations like IIT JEE, Medical Entrance, NIFT entrance, NDA, Olympiads as well as extracurricular activities.
- Parents were made a part of this Mission Guidance to ensure that they believe in the system and see their wards’ real potential. This was followed up with regular interventions being conducted during the morning assembly by the principal and in the classrooms by the teachers to motivate students to excel.
- Mallick got a group of his school teachers, including himself, trained under UCLA Extension’s Global Career Catalyst (GCC) Program to make them aware of the latest trends and techniques in career guidance, and gain knowledge on subject choices, profile building, career planning and much more.
GCC Participants with Mr Sanjay Kumar Mallick (centre)
Mr Mallick’s carefully executed pilot project-Mission Guidance bore fruit when his students began to believe in themselves and make their name known in prestigious events across the nation.
- Student Engagement:
- Participation levels in extra-curricular activities (ECAs) increased by 145% over a span of just 2 years!
- Winning rate increased by 151% from 2015-2017, with students emerging as winners across state and national events.
- National Recognitions:
- AIR-2 in Math quiz organized by SmartEduDirectory.com
- Ranked among the Top 10 CBSE schools of Jharkhand
- Ranked 164 in India School Ranking award by Education World
- International School Award by British Council
Mr Sanjay Kumar Mallick receiving the Rashtriya Shikshak Samman from Mr Parshottam Khodabhai Rupala, Union Minister of State for Panchayati Raj, Agriculture and Farmers Welfare by Avantika, New Delhi
When passion meets guidance, a lot can be achieved, as showcased by Mr Mallick who was able to follow this and bring in a positive change in his school’s learning environment, eventually resulting in success.
To know how you can implement such guided interventions in your school